- About this policy
Wayne Byrne Discounts Pty Ltd trading as Rent Buy Appliances (herein referred to as ‘Rent Buy Appliances’ ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’) is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information in accordance with Australian privacy laws.
Our Privacy sets out how we, use, disclose and manage your personal and credit information.
When you engage us to provide you with any goods or services, apply or complete an application for credit, communicate with us through email, by telephone, in writing, participate in any of our promotional activities, or use any of our other services, including our websites, you agree to the use and disclosure of your personal information in the manner described in this policy.
- Types of personal and credit information we collect
The kinds of personal and credit information we may collect from you will depend on what type of interaction you have with us. Personal information we may collect from you includes, among other things:
- identity particulars - such as your name, address, date of birth, occupation, telephone numbers and e-mail address;
- personal information we collect from you when assessing, processing and managing an application by you for commercial credit;
- personal information you provide to us when you participate in a promotion, competition, promotional activity, survey, market research, subscribe to our mailing list;
- your bank, credit or debit account details when you make a purchase;
- your records of communication with us;
- if you visit our website, your website usage information such as your IP address;
- government identifiers such as your Centrelink reference number.
- The purpose for collecting your personal and credit related information
- We will generally only collect and use your personal information for the primary purposes of
- our general business operations;
- effectively providing you with our goods and services;
- where applicable, assessing and processing an application for credit, and for administrative purposes in relation to the ongoing management of your credit arrangement;
- communicating with you;
- responding to your inquires or complaints;
- meeting our legal and regulatory obligations;
- conducting, improving and developing a relationship with you;
- direct marketing (such as providing you with information about our products and promotional notices and offers);
- and improving our websites.
Your personal information is only collected by lawful and fair means and where practicable, only from you or from a person acting or authorised to act on your behalf. Where you have applied for credit account with us, we may also make enquiries in respect of credit with third parties with your consent. This could include persons nominated by you as trade references, credit reporting bodies (“CRBs”) and your bankers.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are aware of:the likely use of the information;
- the right of access to the information;
- the identity and contact details of our employee/representative collecting your personal information;
- any law requiring collection of the information; and
- the main consequences of failure to provide your personal information.
- How we may use and disclose your personal information
We may use your personal information for:
- the primary purposes for which it was collected, such as those described above;
- assessing and processing an application for, or administrative and management of, and credit account with us;
- administering and responding to your enquiry or feedback about our products and/or services;
- conducting, and allowing you to participate in, a promotion, competition, promotional activity, survey, market research or customer behavioural activity;
- promoting and marketing our current and future products and services to you, informing you of upcoming events and special promotions and offers and analysing our products and services so as to improve and develop new products and services (but giving you the opportunity to opt out of such direct marketing)
- improving the operation of our websites.
If we obtain credit related information from a CRB, we may use that information to assess your credit worthiness and eligibility for credit.This information may include things such as credit scores and assessments.
We may disclose personal information we collect from you:
- to suppliers, consultants, contractors or agents for the primary proposes for which it was collected or for other purposes directly related to the purpose for which the personal information is collected. For example, your name and telephone number may be disclosed to our supplier to enable that supplier to respond to your request for information about a particular product;
- for direct marketing, but giving you the opportunity to opt out of such direct marketing; We will include our contact details in any direct marketing.
- to relevant Federal, State, Territory medical, health and safety authorities (as required);
- where the law requires or authorises us to do so;
- to others that you have been informed of at the time any personal information is collected from you;
- with your consent (express or implied), to others.
Where the Privacy Act permits us to do so, we may also disclose your credit related information (in respect of credit) to CRBs such as:
if you apply for credit or request to increase your credit limit with Rent Buy Appliances.
Where Rent Buy Appliances collects information that we are likely to disclose to a CRB, please note:
- the CRBs may include that information in reports provided to Rent Buy Appliances to assist it to assess your creditworthiness;
- if you fail to meet payment obligations in relation to credit or commit a serious credit infringement, Rent Buy Appliances may be entitled to disclose this to the CRB;
- you may request a CRB not to use or disclose credit related information about you for the purposes of pre-screening of direct marketing by a credit provider;
- you may request the CRB not to use or disclose credit related information about you if you believe on reasonable grounds that you have been or are likely to be a victim of fraud.
Each CRB will have its own policy about the management of credit-related information. You can get a copy of the relevant CRB’s policy by contact the CRB using the details above.
Rent Buy Appliances will only disclose personal information to CRBs where Rent Buy Appliances is a member of a recognised External Dispute Resolution Scheme (‘EDR Scheme’). If Rent Buy Appliances discloses your personal information to CRBs, we will provide you written notice prior to that disclosure, as well as the details of the recognised EDR Scheme.
We do not disclose your personal information for any secondary purposes unless your consent has been given or as required by law, and we will not sell or license any personal information that we collect from you.
- How your personal information is stored and secured
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse or unauthorised access by restricting access to the information in electronic format and by appropriate physical and communications security.
If a substantial data breach has or may have occurred (for example, your personal information was shared with unauthorised persons) we will notify you as soon as is practicable.
We only keep your personal information for as long as it is required for the purpose for which it was collected or as otherwise required by law. We will take appropriate measures to destroy or permanently de-identity your personal information if we no longer need to retain it. These measures may vary depending on the type of information concerned, the way it was collected and how it was stored.
- Using our Website and Cookies
As with most websites, when you visit our website or use an application on our website, we may record anonymous information such as IP address, time, date, referring URL, pages accessed and documents downloaded type of browser and operating system.
We also uses “cookies”. A cookie is a small file that stays on your computer until, depending on whether it is a sessional or persistent cookie, you turn your computer off or it expires. Cookies may collect and store your personal information. You may adjust your internet browser to disable cookies. If cookies are disabled you may still use our website, but the website may be limited in the use of some of the features.
- Marketing and Opting-Out
We may use your personal information for:
- promoting and marketing of our current and future products and services;
- informing you of upcoming events and special promotions and offers; and
- analysing our products and services so as to improve and develop new products and services
We will only offer you products or services, where we reasonably believe that they could be of interest or benefit to you.
At the point we collect information from you, you may be asked to “opt in” to consent to us using or disclosing your personal information. You will generally be given the opportunity to “opt out” from receiving marketing communications from us. You may “opt out” from receiving these communications by clicking on an unsubscribe link at the end of an email or by contacting us with this request.
- Cross border disclosure
Your personal information may also be processed by, or disclosed to employees, representatives, or other third parties operating outside of Australia who work for, or are engaged by us in other countries, including. For example, we may use a server hosted overseas to store data, which may include your personal information.
We will take reasonable steps, in the circumstances, before your personal information is disclosed to an overseas recipient, to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach privacy laws in relation to your personal information (‘the reasonable steps’).
The reasonable steps may not apply if you consent to the disclosure of your personal information to an overseas recipient and we reasonably believe that the overseas receipt is subject to laws that are suitability similar to privacy laws in Australia.
If you consent to the disclosure of your personal information to an overseas recipient, the overseas recipient may not be accountable under the Privacy Act, and you will not be able to seek redress for breaches under the Privacy Act.
- Accurate and up-to-date information
We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is accurate, up-to-date and not misleading by updating its records whenever true and correct changes to the data come to its attention.
If you believe your information is incorrect, incomplete or not current, you can request that we update this information by contacting us. To contact us please see contact details below in paragraph 16.
We will correct information we hold about you if we discover, or you are able to show to a reasonable standard, the information is incorrect. If you seek correction and we disagree that the information is incorrect, we will provide you with its reasons for taking that view.
We disregard information that seems likely to be inaccurate or out-of-date by reason of the time that has elapsed since it was collected or by reason of any other information in our possession.
- Access to your personal information
We acknowledge that you have a general right of access to information concerning you, and to have inaccurate information corrected. You are able to access the personal information we hold about you by contacting us. If access is refused to your personal information for reasons permitted by the Privacy Act, we will give you a notice explaining our decision to the extent practicable and your options.
To contact us please see contact details below. If you make an access request, we may ask you to verify your identity and put your request in writing for security reasons. We may charge a reasonable administration fee to cover the costs of meeting your request. We will reply to your request for access within 30 days of notification by you.
- Dealing with unsolicited information
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that all unsolicited information is destroyed or de-identified immediately.
- Anonymity when dealing with us
Only where it practicable to do so, we may allow you the option not to identify yourself when dealing with us.
- Collecting sensitive information
- Transfer of ownership
- Complaints and disputes
If you have reason to believe that we have not complied with our obligations relating to your personal information under this Policy or under the Privacy Act, please refer any compliant to queries to us (details below).
We will ensure your compliant is handled by us in an appropriate and reasonable manner. Were necessary we may consult with our related entities and partners in order to deal with your complaint. A written notice of our decision regarding your complaint will be provided to you. If you are not satisfied with the outcome, then you may contact the Office of the Australian Privacy Commissioner:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
Phone: 1300 363 992
- Who should you contact for further information?
Rent Buy Appliances:
Phone: 02 9822 4900
We will consider your question or complaint and respond to you in a reasonable timeframe.
Last Updated May 2020